Licensing, Photoshop & Being a Visionary


In between canning a bushel of tomatoes in various forms and redesigning my ".net" website this week I spent some creative time developing product mockups in Photoshop.  This is part of my world in art licensing.  The process involves taking my original artwork and applying to a product via PS so that a manufacturer can envision a store filled with divine versions of my art.  Okay, so that might be a little grand. A girl can dream can't she?  In reality, it enables one to make the leap from flat art, a single dimension, into a picture of a 3D version.  This week I focused on kitchen and bath textiles.  I created a multitude of design mockups for each market.  Here are examples of an apron and hot mitt created using artwork from my Whimsies & Wishes™ brand.  These fall under the "Party Time" collection.

Wouldn't you just love to have such a fun apron and mitt for your next patriotic party?

Just as I envision for the manufacturer, the retailer might envision for the consumer.

An example of a consumer oriented version of this practice can be found at Art.com.  Here you can select a print, add a frame and even show it on the wall of a room.   It seems the only thing it can't do for you is put the nail in your wall.

Here is an example using one of my licensed prints.  You can see several options for framing and, once you've selected the version you prefer, you can select a room layout to test-drive the artwork.  Here I've selected a bathroom but you have room options and styles within those options.  Pretty nifty!

When I create mockups in PS it involves layers and clipping masks (non-destructive editing).  I could cut away the excess flat art that extends beyond the boundaries of the product but this is referred to as "destructive" editing.  It irreversibly changes the artwork.  So, unless you want to start from scratch with each new product then the non-destructive method is the way to go.

Even if you aren't as excited about the marvels of PS as a designer like myself, you can still use some of the PS tips for your personal creative ventures. This non-destructive approach can be carried over into any image editing process whether it involves personal photos, design work, or publishing.

And, when things work out, sometime these illusions become realities like the arrival of new product samples.  We received samples of the new Thirstystone coasters bearing imprints of my artwork.  How exciting! Its like having Christmas in July.  I'll share some pictures of these in my next post.



Back to Top