A New Twist on Fish & Chips

I hate to fry food.  Don't get me wrong, I like the golden crispy crunch as much as anyone.  What I hate is the lingering heavy greasy smell that endures after the fun is gone.  As an alternative to grease-laden batter and stale air I like to make crunchy fish fillets with crispy oven fries.  These really do taste like french fries aka "chips" for this pairing.  Russet potatoes make terrific fries.  To facilitate cleanup I line a half sheet pan with foil and then get the fries started before turning to the fish fillets.

Fish & Chips for Two

RB Chips (oven fries)  Preheat oven to 500 degrees


  • Two russet potatoes
  • Peanut oil


Cut two unpeeled potatoes into 1/2" to 1/4" strips  (Choose a size and be consistent.  The thinner the strips the quicker they will cook.)

Toss the potatoes with a generous coating of peanut oil.

Place the pan in the preheated oven.  Depending on how thick you cut the strips and how brown you prefer the fries, these can be done as quickly as 20-25 minutes or 30-35 minutes.  Season to taste before serving.

In the meantime...

RB Crispy Golden Fish Fillets


  • Two fish fillets (I use tilapia)
  • 1/4 c. all purpose flour
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1/3 sleeve saltines crushed
  • 2 ounces grated parmesan (freshly grated is best)
  • 1 Tbsp. Dried thyme
Combine the saltines, parmesan and thyme.

Pat the fish fillets dry with a paper towel and then dredge each fillet with flour.  Dip the fillets in the beaten egg and then coat with the saltine mixture.

Don't forget to check on the fries periodically.  If they look done, remove them from the oven so they don't get too dark.  You can always put them back in to reheat for a few minutes while the fish is finishing.

Preheat a cast iron skillet over med-high heat.  Generously coat the bottom of the pan with peanut oil.  When the oil begins to shimmer add the fillets.  Allow to cook until the underside is golden brown before turning.  Cook on the second sides until they are also golden brown.

Fish & Chips are traditionally served with malt vinegar but we have discovered that our homemade ketchup is awfully good.  I fear it won't last the ten years that I originally thought.  We may have to begin ketchup rationing.

If you missed the homemade ketchup post you can find it in the archives dated 7/25-8/01 located in the sidebar at right.

4 comments

  1. I really like your fish and chips idea, going to try it - one question - peanut oil?? how about olive oil - is it a taste difference? Have a family member who is allergic to peanuts so I usually just stay away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to use peanut oil because it has a high smoking point of 450 degrees. Depending on the type of olive oil you use it may have a lower, comparable or even higher smoking point. It generally ranges from 320 (extra virgin) to 460 or higher (extra light). The most important thing is personally safety so I would err on the side of caution and avoid the peanut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hardly wait to try your fish and chips. Thanks for planning tomorrow nights dinner. I love your ideas, now, where do I find extra hours in my
    day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to help. Let me know how it turns out. And about the finding the hours; I start with the normal 30 hours a day and...

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top