No Mess Bacon

I confess, I love bacon; but, I don't like the greasy mess that often results.  As a solution, I slow roast my bacon in the oven on half sheet pans lined with parchment or foil.  The result is amazingly tender bacon (no, I cannot be trusted alone with this) that just melts in your mouth.  Clean up is also a breeze.  Just pour the grease into a container (I save mine for use as a flavorful fat for cooking) and put it in the fridge.  Fold up the parchment or foil used to line the pans and discard.  Any residual grease on the pans washes right off.

For the sake of convenience, I roast two half-sheet pans at a time and then portion and freeze the cooked bacon in vacuum sealed bags.


Roasted Bacon


  • Set the oven to 350° (325° convection) then begin by lining your pans with parchment or foil to minimize cleanup.
  • Separate the slices of bacon and lay them side-by-side on the baking sheet.  You can see by the photo that I had a few extra slices than would fit so I placed these crosswise on top.  Place in the oven.
  • After 30 minutes, separate any slices that are touching.  They can be rearranged as desired if your oven cooks unevenly or just replaced as they were.  If you leave the bacon undisturbed until it is finished the slices will become stuck together. Once you have separated then after the initial 30 minutes they will be fine.
  • The first pieces will be done (wiggly not crisp) after a total time of about 45 minutes.  I remove them when they are still a bit less done than I want because residual heat will continue to cook the bacon a little more after it has been removed.  I also want to allow room for reheating the bacon without over cooking.  The bacon is usually all finished within 50-55 minutes of total cooking time.

No comments

Back to Top