Salt Free Poultry Rub | Rebecca Baer® Artful Living: Salt Free Poultry Rub

21 September 2010

Salt Free Poultry Rub

Although I developed this recipe with poultry in mind, it is a terrific all-purpose seasoning. Whenever I am creating a seasoning mix I always go salt-free so that I can add the desired amount of salt during food preparation. This also allows me to add more spice without over salting. In short, by keeping my spice blend and salt separate I have complete control over the balance of seasoning in my dishes. Having both the creative freedom to tweak seasoning blends to suit your tastes as well as control the saltiness, can provide the motivation for creating your own convenient herb and spice mixes at home.
Rebecca's Poultry Rub Lineup
Rebecca's Salt-free Poultry Rub




  • 3 T Black Pepper
  • 2 T Szechuan Pepper
  • 2 T Juniper Berries
  • 1 T Celery Seed
  • 1 T Mustard Seed
  • 1 t Rogan Josh*
  • 1 t Onion Powder
  • 1 t Poultry Seasoning**
*Rogan Josh is a curry seasoning blend (salt-free) That I purchase from Penzey's Spices. It is a mixture of paprika, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, black pepper, cayenne pepper, Korintje cassia cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and saffron. 
**Traditional poultry seasoning includes marjoram, sage,  savory and thyme.

Place all ingredients in a spice grinder, i.e., a coffee grinder reserved for use with spices, and whir away.  When all components are finely ground, place in an air-tight container for storage.

Recipes featuring my Salt-free Poultry Rub:
RB Flourless Fried Chicken

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! Looking forward to trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for a recipe for get you started, I have just posted a Flourless Fried Chicken recipe that uses the poultry rub.

    ReplyDelete