Create an Instant Hamburger Bun Pan

As I was making bread the other day I was lamenting the fact that I could only make a limited number of buns at one time.  I have always used my small cheesecake pans and only have six so I couldn't make buns en masse with enough to freeze for later use.  As I was trolling the kitchen to see what else I may be able to use I spied a wide mouth canning jar lid and thought it was worth a try.  It worked like a charm and produced the most perfect, beautiful buns ever!


Method

  • A half sheet pan will hold 14 rings and this also makes nice size buns using my wheat bread recipe.
  • Line the pan with parchment
  • Use solid shortening (lard) on a paper towel or a spray to grease the rings.  Both of these methods  reach into the crevices of the ring so the dough doesn't stick.  Reapply for each use if making several batches.
  • Arrange the rings on the pan.
  • Divide the dough into 14 equal portions (my recipe makes two full-size loaves of bread and is the right amount for 14 buns).  Pull the edges to the underside and pinch to make a ball.
  • Flatten the dough balls into discs that are about 1/2' thick.  
  • Cover and set aside to rise in a warm area until doubled in size.
  • Bake according to your recipe's directions.  I bake mine at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
  • Once removed from the oven use hot pads to hold the ring and give the bun a twist.  They pop right out.  Beautiful!

16 comments

  1. Sooooooooooooo clever! I just love an upcycle.

    Merry Christmas,
    Amber H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amber. I can't believe I didn't see it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in the same situation today trying to find what would work for my gluten free buns. They are very moist and need some sort of low ridged container to bake in. After "trolling" through my own kitchen, I could not find what I needed. Your solution is perfect. I don't like obtaining pans that have limited uses such as hamberger bun pans. Thanks so much Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad this worked for you Donna!

    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God you answered my prayer! This is the best idea I have seen online in ages! You deserve an award...seriously! Would softened butter work on the rings? I don't have lard or spray. I use butter on my bread pans. I am so excited to try this out the next time I make bread! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very welcome! Thank you for your generous comment! I see no reason why softened butter wouldn't work. The texture of the rings can leave some areas hard to get to but with the butter being softened it should go right into the grooves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm new to Baking And ThIs Idea Strikes Me As Brilliant! Can I Assume You Can Use The Regular Canning Lids To Make Slider Buns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment Becky! I think using the smaller rings for sliders is a marvelous idea. I hadn't considered it. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  8. So glad I saw this so I didn't pay $24 for a pan. Thanks for a great idea. I have alot of canning jar rings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have any ideas for hot dog buns? I have tried to freehand shape them....they look more like missles than buns

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any ideas for hot dog buns? I have tried to freehand then but they turnout looking like missles

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I make hot dog buns I use the same amount of dough as for burger buns. I roll each portion into a log that is a little shorter than I want the finished buns. I then line them up on parchment with just enough space in between for each to expand until touching so the rolls themselves limit the width. I separate the rolls after baking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks. You saved me $$$. I like that. Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great idea. And I had the rings already! You are so clever. I will be looking for more of your ideas online.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you use just the rings without the inside lid?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, they turned out perfect. One of the best ideas I've ever used!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top